The Harvard Medical School (HMS) Office of Online Learning and the Curriculum Fellows Program (CFP) are pleased to announce an opening for a post-doctoral Curriculum Fellow (CF) who will develop a series of short online Immunology courses and contribute to the development of other online courses. The Curriculum Fellow for Online Learning in Immunology will be an integral member of the team at HMX – an initiative at HMS producing fully online courses that are offered to students all over the world who may be interested in a variety of health care careers (e.g. medicine or nursing). These courses teach foundational medical topics in a highly applied, engaging, and visual manner. HMX is a fast-paced and highly collaborative team, bringing together the expertise of teaching and learning experts, medical illustrators, videographers, medical professionals, and technologists. If you have insight and expertise in teaching immunology, and are a project manager, team player, curious researcher, motivated problem solver, and fearless innovator, this is the job for you.
The CFP is a service and training program for early career scientists who are focused on curriculum development, teaching, and educational programming in the biomedical and biological sciences. Curriculum Fellows work closely with committed members of the HMS faculty and administration to develop, deploy, and evaluate evidence-based graduate and medical education and training. Fellows also receive mentorship and career advising to support their development as educators and have gone on to a variety of education-focused careers. More detailed information about the Curriculum Fellows Program and the role of a CF can be found in the 2019 CF cohort announcement available on our website (https://curriculumfellows.hms.harvard.edu/job-opportunities).
The Curriculum Fellow for Online Learning in Immunology will focus on the development, improvement, support, and analysis of a high-quality online curriculum in the basic medical sciences, with an emphasis on clinically relevant concepts and applications of basic science knowledge in the practice of medicine. Working in an HMX team, the CF will collaborate with faculty to design and develop multimodal online modules. The CF will manage and develop the curriculum for a series of new short Immunology courses, including videos, problem sets, assignments, and assessments, with the opportunity to take a fresh approach to curriculum design and creation. The CF will contribute to a research strategy to investigate the impact of the program on student learning and engagement. Online module development is overseen by the Associate Director for Teaching and Research in conjunction with the Associate Dean for Online Learning. The CF will be co- mentored by science/content experts as well as online learning experts. The CF will contribute to program delivery and coordinate appropriate follow-up to drive continuous course and program improvement. Supervisory responsibilities may include the training and mentoring of Online Learning staff and/or student interns. The CF appointment is renewable annually for a maximum of three years and is non-tenure-track. Fellows are appointed as research associates, with possible promotion to the rank of Lecturer contingent on experience and performance.
- An earned M.D. or Ph.D. in the biomedical sciences as of February 2019
- A strong content background and teaching experience in immunology or closely related topics
Desired Qualifications and Qualities
- Excellent organizational, time management, and planning skills
- Well-developed writing and self-editing skills, with an intense attention to detail
- Dedication to producing consistently high-quality work and seeing projects through to
- Track record of working in highly collaborative team settings
- Commitment to tackling new topics and problems with creativity and enthusiasm
- Demonstrated interest in teaching or a track record of excellent teaching, in-person or online, including a passion for helping students visualize and understand complex concepts
- Strong interest in online education and the applications of technology in higher education
- Willingness to teach in new ways, including appearing on camera, writing excellent assessment questions, and creating “whiteboard” style teaching videos
Multiple CF positions are currently open at Harvard Medical School. These are listed at the CFP web site – https://curriculumfellows.hms.harvard.edu/job-opportunities. Qualified candidates are welcome to apply for more than one of these positions with a single application. The ideal start date for the Curriculum Fellow for Online Learning in Immunology is on or before April 1, 2019 at Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA. Candidates will be interviewed by phone or Skype before selections are made for on-campus interviews.
Interested candidates should email a single PDF document containing:
(1) a letter of application that clearly identifies the specific curriculum fellow position or positions to which you are applying, including your interest in and qualifications for the position
(2) a curriculum vitae
(3) a statement of teaching philosophy
Address emails to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention Dr. Bradley Coleman, Co-Director of the HMS Curriculum Fellows Program. Include the names and contact information of three references, who will be contacted during the review process. The review of applications will begin Tuesday, February 19th, 2019.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.
|Curriculum Fellow for Online Learning in Immunology pdf||95 KB|