In order to better and more equitably assess candidates, we ask that all applicants to the HMS Curriculum Fellows Program submit a teaching statement that addresses and/or demonstrates the following.
- your idea of effective teaching
- your personal goals as an educator
- how your teaching and philosophy reflect a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
In addition, we believe the following are universal characteristics of exemplary teaching statements.
- the content is grounded in the writer’s own previous, current, or planned experiences
- it is written clearly and is free of grammatical errors
- it does not exceed two pages
We see the Teaching Statement as an opportunity for applicants to describe and explore their individual relationship with teaching and learning and welcome diverse perspectives, experiences and opinions.